Latest Posts


Courtesy of Wikipedia


Susan Cain is speaking up for introverts and against thepractices of brainstorming and group projects in the classroom and theworkplace. She backs up her opinion with plenty of statistics, but as usual,there are statistics on the other side of the argument.

If you are an introvert, you’ll be happy to read thisarticle, http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/opinion/sunday/the-rise-of-the-new-groupthink.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all,and her new book, Quiet: The Power ofIntroverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking.

I agree that students need to learn to work on assignmentsfor extended periods of time. I agree that some people are most creative whenthey are alone. Cain quotes William Wordsworth, who described himself as “Amind for ever/ Voyaging through strange seas of Thought, alone.”

My personal experience is that many of my creative ideascome through contact with others. I love the activities of brainstorming (myfavorite exercise) and mind mapping in a small group. When the notes arecompiled I set to work on my own, but I always rely on trusted others forfeedback.

Teachers want to be sensitive to the learning needs of theirstudents. Some are introverts (%), and more are extroverts (%.) But if Cain’sdata findings are true, we must organize the school day with quiet, thoughtfultime and collaborative opportunities.

Is this something you can do in your classroom?